Friday, October 12, 2018

The Picturebook Ramayana

Thanks to Joanne's project this semester, I learned about this wonderful website: The Picturebook Ramayana, edited by H. Daniel Smith.


There are approximately 80 images, each one accompanied by a Sanskrit verse from Valmiki's Ramayana, a Romanization of the verse, and an English translation. For example, here is King Janaka discovering Sita:

[King Janaka recalled:] "And as I was tilling the ground, a girl-child came out from under the plow I gathered her up as I cleared that field, and I have named her 'Sita' after that furrow."



And the project includes the Uttara-kanda, with Rama's twin sons reciting the Ramayana to him:

Thereupon the sweet recitation commenced, divine to hear, like the sound of angels. Those who had assembled to listen found no surfeit in the richness of the song.



No comments:

Post a Comment